Friday 22 March 2013

Where is FSI Courses?

That's the question I have been asking myself since yesterday evening. I made a mental note to myself to write about it. I forgot. Losing your job takes its toll. Anyway I am wondering why I can't access http://www.fsi-language-courses.org/. 

I am currently reading a novel by Chimamanda Adichie. I am 12 chapters into the book. So far: there has been a second coup in Nigeria. Igbo killings have begun. Arize and her family is dead. Odenigbo is worried about Olanna. Mohammed is helping Olanna get to safety. Kainene's parents are in London. Richard is with Susan. And Ugwu is playing with the Baby. What is to come next is still a mystery. But what has happened so far in the book got me interested in Igbo culture. 

The Igbos are a wonderful lot. I remember reading a long article about them, or the Kingdom of NRI a few months. Theirs was a kingdom without a king. The old Igbos lived in small village-sized republics. It was only after the British came, preceded by swords and followed by the bibles, that chieftains were imposed on these people. Even though Half of a Yellow Sun is set in the 1960s, it offers a glimpse into the history of these people. I will read more about them through books of Chinua Achebe.

I am telling this because this intrigued me so much that I wanted to learn Igbo. I immediately went to the FSI Courses website and found it was not there. (-_-) A little Google-ing showed the site has been offline for approximately one month. There is little else I know. I am currently not in mood of more researching. Maybe tomorrow.

=== Update ===

Fortunately I didn't have to search much. I am downloading the FSI Igbo course from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment