Unification of two Punjabi Wikipedias is still a dream. I have been trying to learn Python for the past few days so that I can create a Shahmukhi<->Gurmukhi conversion program.
Yesterday, I began to doubt my way of doing things. So I asked on Lernu! what programming language would suit this task the most. There were some helpful answers and it turns out, solution lies in PHP and not Python. I have installed PHP but I haven't yet been able to figure out how to run it. I have to install a mini-server and I don't know how to go about it. I will find out, I know that.
I phoned Sangam developer Gurpreet Singh Lehal today evening to ask if he will be willing to let Wikipedia use his conversion software. A soft-spoken person, he gladly agreed. This is a great help. It makes things a lot easier.
I have posted two messages announcing this good news to both Wikipedias. On the Indian side, they have expressed their concerns on the efficacy of software and edit wars that will follow on several controversial topics; India and Pakistan are not the friendliest of nations.
I have yet to receive a message from the Pakistani side. It is presumably because I posted the message there almost two hours later.
Here is an extremely simple image of what Wikipedia will look like after the conversion is complete: