Sunday 13 February 2011

Nikhil Sinha, the Only(?) Indian Conlanger, and his Conlangs

I accidently found Esperanto a couple of years back. I was excited to know it's unlike any other language in the world. It was a 'constructed language'. (Some prefer to call it an 'auxlang'.) To find more about Esperanto, I occasionaly went to cyber cafes. During one of those visits, I came across another constructed language which, it seemed to me, incorporated the grammar of Esperanto in it. The only difference, I could figure out, was in the choice of roots. The European roots were swapped with more familiar Sanskrit and Hindi words. I didn't bother much about the language because I thought it was just a copy cat project and wasn't worth having a look. After that, I forgot the name of the language; the only thing that wasn't erased from my memory was the first name of the creator - Nikhil.

Today morning, for no particular reason, I decided to find out what happened of Nikhil and his project. At first it was difficult to find information about him and his conlangs because Nikhil is such a common name in India. But within a few minutes, I did manage to Google out his real name - Nikhil Sinha. He was 15 in 2003 so he must be 22 or 23 by now. I couldn't find more about him but more Googling did reveal that he is the "only" conlanger from India. 

Coming to his languages, he has created four artlangs: Nihilosk, Indika, Gokim and Cannic.

1. Nihilosk: According to this website, Nikhil's first creation was Nihilosc. "The first conlang is not akin to any spoken language. It is just made up." and the name of the language, Nihilosc, is a "corruption" of his name.

Here's what the language looks like:

Nihiloscon iso impiyoan raquaon greinoas. Etada Nihiloscon epruiboanus. Etadaan diseisenciaon Nikilon Sinhaon greinoas.

(Nihilosc is a simple language. I'm learning Nihilosc. My name is Nikhil Sinha.)

Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to pronounce it or how it works because the website that contained information about it was hosted on Yahoo Geocities which is no longer available.

2. Indika: This was perhaps the language I saw then. This language is based on Esperanto, English, Hindi and Sanskrit. I gather from the sample sentences I've found that the grammar borrows much from Esperanto and the role of the rest three is confined to lending words.

Indikao asas un asana linguao. Mi sikoagas Indikao. Mia namo asas Nikilo Sinhao.

(Indika is a simple language. I'm learning Indika. My name is Nikhil Sinha.)

Here, asas seems to have been borrowed from Ido and the verb ending -as, adjective ending -a, noun ending -o, the first person pronoun mi and first person possessive pronoun mia, clearly show how much Esperanto has affected the grammar of Indika.

The roots asan-, sikoaga- and nam- are from Hindi or Sanskrit and they mean 'easy', 'learn' and 'name' respectively.

You can find nine sentences, including the three mentioned above, in both languages here.

3. Gokim: The language was first spelled as Goquim. It's a very strange looking language. To make plural you have to add an -om and that's all I know about it! Below are the same three sample sentences in Gokim:

Goquimu kuin Omeina na. Duitina goquimen dilde nalla. Oste dilde Nikhil Sinha na.
(Gokim is a simple language. I'm learning Gokim. My name is Nikhil Sinha.)

Fortunately, there is still some information left on how the language works on this page

4. Cannic: This is the best documented, if you are a linguist, of all of Nikhil's languages currently available on the internet. I believe there is sufficient material on this website for an expert but for me, who is only casually interested in languages, it's far from being something I could learn the language from.

Again, the same sentences in Cannic:

Kánika astis á simplán lánguéźa. Áma larning Kánika. Ámos náma astis Nikil Sinhá non.

(Cannic is a simple language. I'm learning Cannic. My name is Nikhil Sinha.)

To me, it's both heart-warming and disappointing at the same time to learn about these projects.  'Heart-warming' because they show Europeans aren't the only ones who are making conlangs, 'disappointing' because these non-European projects aren't easily visible.

15 comments:

  1. Sellamat Eto !

    Gnohm iom ! I know him ! I could get in touch with him last year and sent me what remained of Indika. Though he doesn't construct languages anymore, he sometimes takes part in the Worldlanglist group (where you can download the stuff about Indika): http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/worldlanglist
    (by the way, I'm working on the new edition of the Sambahsa-English dictionnary)

    Olivier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I was informed about this post by Dr. Olivier Simon. Thanks for your interest in my languages!
    I keep working on (that is, modifying and refining) my languages, so they have changed somewhat from what is documented here and elsewhere on the web. My website has been non-existant since GenCities closed down, but I do plan to resurrect it some day.
    Nikhil Sinha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is the best out of the four of you languages and also where can I talk to you? Can u please give me your insta id

      Delete
    2. The language I like best is Cannic. You can get in touch with me through Facebook (facebook.com/Wahawafe) or Twitter (twitter.com/Wahawafe).

      Delete
  3. Sellamat Simon!

    Preparing a dictionary must be a really difficult job. It's the standard work that helps make a language from mere street talk to something that can be effectively used to communicate complex ideas.

    Namaste Nikhil!

    I'd be waiting for the day when there is more information available on the internet about your languages. Right now, I've got only one thing to say Mi ne bolas Nihilosc, Indika, Gokim or Cannic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Som baygh noroct ob bringhes dwo Hindis ad mutu !

    As I said, Eto, just join the Worldlanglist Yahoo group and you'll have access to the Indika documents that Nikhil gave me !

    What I'm doing is just the reedition of the already existing Sambahsa-English dictionary (of course, I'll send it to you and Nikhil when it will be over). The first edition (in October 2010) was a terrible work : if I had had to translate each word one by one, it would have taken 6 months ! (I would have died before). With the help of Google, it took only one month but there is still a lot to correct. For this edition, I just add the new words and try to amend some mistakes...
    With more than 12000 words, only a few auxlangs have bigger dictionaries than Sambahsa.

    Namasvâm !

    (since you are two, I suppose we must use the Sanskrit pronoun for the dual number... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Eto: :) Namaste! I have been very lazy about getting my website back online, but would try to do it soon. When that happens, i'll let you know.
    By the way, i would like to tell you two things. Firstly, the '?' in the Cannic sentence is actually due to an encoding error somewhere. 's with acute accent' and 'z with acute accent' got garbled and became question marks.
    Secondly, conlangs and auxlangs are not the same. Auxlangs are the conlangs that are meant for international communication, like Esperanto, Sambahsa and several others. By contrast, artlangs are created just for the fun of it. My languages are all artlangs.

    @Olivier: :) Nice comment! An India-India connection was established via France!
    I never thought about namasvam! :) We always take namaste to be an undivisible word. I have no idea how it is used in Sanskrit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nikhil Hi, thanks for making me aware of this subtle difference. I've done the corrections.

    Also, I was just wondering if you are aware of other conlangers from India? I'd love to know about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!
    I started conlanging in 2003 and immediately joined the Conlang mailing list, which is the largest group of conlangers anywhere. At that time, there was some discussion on conlangers from India. There was one guy before me, called Madhukar Gogate. He created Globish, which is an auxlang, almost entirely based on english, but uses regular spellings and grammar. However, the language is so close to English, that not many will call it a separate language. Therefore, it wasn't really a conlang, but rather a restricted natural language, on the same lines as Basic English and many others. Apart from him, there was nobody else. i have not been on the Conlang list for several years now, so i do not know if any other indian ever joined the list after me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I have been seriously conlanging again in the last few months. I have also created a new language called Træzü. It is a polysynthetic language. However, it is unlikely that i'll put my conlangs' information online again. It's too much of a trouble! I just like to play with my languages offline. :)
    I have also started a multilingual translation project called Wahawafe. You can take a look at it at www.wahawafe.zxq.net. A Punjabi translation is also welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to know more about Træzü. And here is a translation of the sentence in Punjabi:

    Gurmukhi: ਅਸੀ ਇਨਸਾਨ ਹਾਂ ਅਤੇ ਅਸੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਤੋਂ ਹਾਂ ।

    Shahmukhi: -اسی انسان ہاں اتے اسی دہرتی توں ہاں

    Devanagari: असी इनसान हां अते असी धरती तो हां ।

    Roman: Asī insān hāṅ te asī dhartī toṅ hāṅ.

    The language uses three different scripts, that's why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    Thank you very much! :) could you please email me? It's because i do not receive any notification when you comment here.
    you can find the translation of Wahawafe in Træzü (and my other conlangs) on my website. I can tell you more about it when you email me. My email address is on my website.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete