Wednesday 28 March 2012

My first French poem - Je vous remercie mon Dieu

Yesterday I read my first piece of literature in French. It's a poem by Ivorian author Bernard B. Dadié. In the poem Dadié thanks the god for making his skin black.

I don't know what circumstances the poem was written under. So I am not competent to make a critical remark. Still I would have liked more if the poem was about the skies, stars or dreams.

I came across a verse on French Wikipedia and then found the complete poem here. I have translated it with the help of Wiktionary (English and French versions), all the while hoping that I wasn't doing a disastrous job. (^_^)



Je vous remercie mon Dieu
I thank you my god

Bernard Binlin Dadié

Je vous remercie mon Dieu, de m'avoir créé Noir,
d'avoir fait de moi
la somme de toutes les douleurs,
mis sur ma tête,
le Monde.
J'ai la livrée du Centaure
Et je porte le Monde depuis le premier matin.

I thank you my god, for making me a black,
for making me
the sum of all pains,
putting on my head
the world.
I took the world to the Centaur
And I have carried the world since the first morning.

Le blanc est une couleur de circonstance
Le noir, la couleur de tous les jours
Et je porte le Monde depuis le premier soir.

White is a colour that depends on the situation
Black is the colour of every day
And I have carried the world since the first evening.

Je suis content
de la forme de ma tête
faite pour porter le Monde,
Satisfait
de la forme de mon nez
Qui doit humer tout le vent du Monde,
Heureux
de la forme de mes jambes
Prêtes à courir toutes les étapes du Monde.

I am contend
with the shape of my head
been shaped like this on account of carrying the world,
Satisfied
with the shape of my nose
that had to smell all the scents of the world,
Happy
at the shape of my legs
ready to run on all the steps of the world.

Je vous remercie mon Dieu, de m'avoir créé Noir,
d'avoir fait de moi,
la somme de toutes les douleurs.
Trente-six épées ont transpercé mon coeur.
Trente-six brasiers ont brûlé mon corps.
Et mon sang sur tous les calvaires a rougi la neige,
Et mon sang à tous les levants a rougi la nature.

I thank you my god, for having created me black
for having made me
the sum of all pains.
Thirty-six swords have pierced my heart.
Thirty-six brasiers have burned my body.
And the cavalry reddened the snow with my blood,
And my blood made the east red.

Je suis quand même
Content de porter le Monde,
Content de mes bras courts
               de mes bras longs
                          de l'épaisseur de mes lèvres.

I am even
Content at carrying the world,
Content at my short arms
                at my long arms
                        at my thick lips.

Je vous remercie mon Dieu, de m'avoir créé Noir,
Je porte le Monde depuis l'aube des temps
Et mon rire sur le Monde,
               dans la nuit
                          crée le jour.

I thank you my god, for having created me black,
I carry the world since the beginning of time
And my laugh on the world,
                 during night
                      created the day.

4 comments:

  1. Re-sellamat Eto !
    I suppose this poem was written at the end of colonialism, when this poet wanted to glorify the Black race.
    "livrée" = livery
    "content" = "glad"
    "calvaire" = calvary, martyredom

    Olivier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions! :)

      As to the poem, I don't think it does a very good job of "glorifying" the Blacks...

      I don't know how to put it in words... but I bet no White would talk about his colour this way. This is ridiculous.

      There has got to be some originality. From what I know about Africa, I love Tumbuktu... because they overcame their inferiority complex and dreamed. Tumbuktu manuscripts are a proof.

      But again, as Chomsky points out, history may be a antiquated, a thing of the past for the winners... but for the defeated, it remains a everyday reality.

      Very complicated...

      Delete
    2. salut(on) Ch.! je ne sais pas... j'ai été étonné (encore une fois) en découvrant que tu as appris le français maintenant...

      sed: kiam iu demandas, vi diras "ooh, mi ne lernis kaj ne parolas lingvojn" ktp., tamen klare videblas ke vi scipovas -eble- dek aux pli!!... do, vi sxercas... :O

      nu, mi jam rimarkis ke viaj skribajxoj cxi tie estas grava/granda pordo al Barato [gxia kulturo kaj gxia cxiutaga vivo, per la okuloj de homo lernema kaj kultivata -kaj noktema, cxu?- kiel vi mem], do mi sxatus havi pli da tempo por legi/lerni pli... sed vi jam scias... :(

      i'd like to suggest something: if you like, you can send me (to my blog) your email address (as you know, it will not be made public), so that i could have more comfort (spacewise and timewise) to express thoughts, and perhaps so could you; perhaps that could offer a nice & free-spirited exchange, i believe that... i think it could, i don't know... i wouldn't want to impose anything, it's just an idea, it seems nice...

      so give it a thought, man, despite the hard times i, for one, would like to give it a try...
      sed kiel vi volas.
      namaste.
      D.

      Delete
    3. c'est fait, farita!! tre bone, dankon: i'll send my message soon enough, please check all your email folders, so as not to miss it ----gxis la.

      Delete