Tuesday 13 November 2012

Punjabi Wikipedia - stupid administrators, no unification

Yes, the title tells it all. They are stupid and too entrenched in their comfort zone to even think that unification is possible. One of them says, 'Western Punjabi' is a different language because it has its own ISO code, another claims 'Kashmiri' and 'German' have the "same" grammar and those from Pakistan don't even care to respond! 

I wouldn't have minded had they given some well-thought reasons for not unifying the two Punjabi Wikipedia. It would have been a pleasure to know where I am wrong. But no! They wouldn't have a discussion. Instead, they would aim their guns at me and keep on asking who I was to order them to learn Shahmukhi. 

I tried hard but those fools won't even budge. When they didn't have a good reason (they are too dumb to think of even one good reason to not unify) they turned to saying: 'Wikipedia is no place for activism.', implying I should go away.

Article on Sikhism on the Shahmukhi Wikipedia is titled 'Sikh Mat' (Sikh Religion). The title on Gurmukhi Wikipedia reads, 'Sikhi.' (Sikhism). They are too foolish to realise that doesn't make them two different languages.

When everything failed, I challenged them to come up with a plan, other than unification, to increase the article count by at least 20,000 in the next six months without stretching Wikipedia finances. They didn't respond. Instead they found it easier to attack me, and turn the discussion to other subjects.

I don't know who made them administrators. I know the software isn't perfect, then aren't we here to make it better? Anyway, I am done with it. Let them massacre each other, create ten Punjabi Wikipedias and do as they please.

In case you are interested in the discussion, here is the link.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I have a question to you regarding Punjabi language. How is the word "as" translated in the following sentences?
    (1) I respect you as a friend.

    (2) I study my dreams as symbolic imagery.

    (3) We kept this day as a holiday.

    (4) She appeared to them as a fairy this time.

    You see, "as" in English has several meanings but I need only this particular one (it also expressed as "in the capacity of" in English).

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In these sentences, 'as' is translated as 'ਦੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ' (dī tarāṅ), literally 'like that.'

      The transliteration scheme is IAST (International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration) with minor changes. (Tone is not shown.)

      (1) I respect you as a friend.
      ਮੈਂ ਤੁਹਾਡੀ ਇੱਕ ਦੋਸਤ ਦੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਇੱਜ਼ਤ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ।
      maiṅ tuhāḍī ikk dost dī tarāṅ iz'zat kardā hāṅ
      I yours one friend as respect do present tense marker.

      (2) I study my dreams as symbolic imagery.
      ਮੈਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਖਵਾਬਾਂ ਦਾ ਮੁਤਾਲਿਆ ਸਿਮਬੋਲਿਕ ਇਮੈਜਰੀ ਦੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ।
      maiṅ āpṇē khwābāṅ dā mutāleā simbolik imaijrī dī tarāṅ kardā hāṅ
      I my dreams of ('s) study symbolic imagery as do.

      (3) We kept this day as a holiday.
      ਅਸੀ ਇਸ ਦਿਨ ਨੂੰ ਛੁੱਟੀ ਦੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਰੱਖਿਆ।
      asī is din nuṅ chuṭṭī dī tarāṅ rakhē'ā
      we this day (preposition) holiday as kept


      (4) She appeared to them as a fairy this time.
      ਉਹ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਵਾਰ ਇੱਕ ਪਰੀ ਦੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਲੱਗੀ।
      oh uṅhāṅ nuṅ is vār ikk parī dī tarāṅ laggī
      she them-to this time a fairy as appeared

      Delete
  2. The more appropriate Punjabi would be "ਵਜੋਂ".
    (1) I respect you as a friend.
    ਮੈਂ ਤੁਹਾਡਾ ਦੋਸਤ ਵਜੋਂ ਸਤਿਕਾਰ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ।
    and so on...

    ReplyDelete