Saturday, 8 February 2014

Progress is slow but I'm not going to give up so easily

I am doing the ninth lesson of Assimil Coréen Sans Peine. I am learning slowly. Ten hours in office and another five hours in commute are beginning to exhaust me. The native speaker, who was helping me, seems to have found other interests. Things are not panning out as I imagined.

However, I will not accept defeat this time. I will not switch to another language until I can read 동아일보 (東亞日報) comfortably and watch 변호인 (辯護人) without subtitles.

The progress will be slow because I am focusing on building a strong foundation - analysis, grammar, Hanja and practice - instead of merely rushing ahead for the sake of speed.

Here is the Korean text - first in Hangeul and then in the mixed-script - I have just memorised.

                    서울과 파리


                    서울은 파리보다 큽니다.

                    그러나 파리보다 명승고식이 덜 있습니다.

                    그래도 서울과 파리 사이에는 공통점이 하나 있습니다.

                    서울은 파리처럼 교통이 복잡합니다.

                    차로 다니면 시간이 많이 걸립니다.

                    차보다 지하철이 더 빠릅니다.

                    그리고 편리하고 쌉니다.

                    서울과 파리


                    서울은 파리보다 큽니다.

                    그러나 파리보다 名勝古蹟이 덜 있습니다.

                    그래도 서울과 파리 사이에는 共通點이 하나 있습니다.

                    서울은 파리처럼 交通이 複雜합니다.

                    車로 다니면 時間이 많이 걸립니다.

                    車보다 地下鐵이 더 빠릅니다.

                    그리고 便利하고 쌉니다.