Thursday, 17 February 2011

Desinging Romanmukhi (Romanmuḣī) to Fall Asleep

It's not a serious a post. I was just finding it hard to fall asleep so I switched on the computer and started searching for Latin characters with diacritics in order to find enough to make a one-to-one relationship between the sounds in Punjabi and the letters of the Roman script.

Here's what I've come up with:

Sambahsa kī hē?
Sambahsa ik aṇtar-rāṡṫri madadgār ḃāṡā hē.

(What is Sambahsa?
Sambahsa is an international auxiliary language.)

Aṇtar-rāṡṫri madadgār ḃāṡā (AMḂ) kī hundī hē?
Ik AMḂ ik ajēhī ḃāṡā hundī hē jo kī ajēhē lokāṇ, jinā dī koyī sāṇżī ḃāṡā nahī hē, de viċ bolċāl layī vartī jāndī hē.

(What is an international auxiliary language?
An IAL is a neutral language designed to be used by people having no common tongue to communicate amongst themselves.)

Kī Sambahsa iklotī AMḂ hē?
Bilkul nahī. Dunyā viċ is vakat karīb unīāṇ hī AMḂ han jinīāṇ kī kudratī ḃāṡāvāṇ.


(Is Sambahsa the only language of its kind?
Certainly not. There are almost as many IALs in the world as there are natural languages.
)

Mēṇ Sambahsa kioṇ siḣāṇ?
Is svāl muṡkil hē. Is svāl nū is vakat rationalize karnā muṡkil hē. Je mēṇ is svāl nū rationalize kitā tāṇ tusī ẓaṭṭ hī usdā toṙ laḃ lavoge. Mēṇ is ḃāṡā nū is karke siḣ rehāṇ hāṇ kioṇkī mēnū is nāl pyār ho geyā hē.

(Why should I learn Sambahsa?
Well, that's a tough question! I wouldn't rationalize it because then you would quickly come up with a counter argument. I'm learning it because I'm enjoying doing it.)

Instead of listing the phonetic values of these letters, I've opted for the easy way out: I've simply translated the text into English assuming that it'd be enough to assist a Punjabi speaker to guess how these letters are pronounced.